Wednesday, April 27, 2011

If it weren't for Easter...

how would I live? How do you "press on" when you don't know where you are headed? I just don't see how people journey that way. Without Jesus. Without the pursuit of all He is. This hit me hard on Easter morning at church. Bethany ~my 9 year old daughter~ sang "Amazing Grace/My Chains are Gone" with Tim and I during worship. I could barely keep from outward weeping. Then after she sang, I read scripture. This scripture found in the book of Luke:

The Resurrection

24 hBut on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they went to the tomb, itaking the spices they had prepared. 2 And they found jthe stone rolled away from the tomb, 3 but when they went in they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. 4 While they were perplexed about this, behold, ktwo lmen stood by them in dazzling apparel. 5 And as they weremfrightened and bowed their faces to the ground, the men said to them, “Why do you seek the living among the dead? 6 He is not here, but has risen. Remember how he told you, nwhile he was still in Galilee, 7 nthat the Son of Man omust be delivered into the hands of sinful men and pbe crucified and on qthe third day rise.” 8 And rthey remembered his words, 9 and returning from the tomb they stold all these things to the eleven and to all the rest.10 Now it was tMary Magdalene and uJoanna and Mary the mother of James and the other women with them who told these things to the apostles, 11 but these words seemed to them an idle tale, and vthey did not believe them.12 But wPeter rose and ran to the tomb; stooping and looking in, he saw xthe linen cloths by themselves; and he went home marveling at what had happened.


This would be the second time I have nearly "lost it" to the ugly cry at church. On a microphone. During the service. The first was when I read the Christmas story, back in 2007. I was pregnant with my first born son. You nearly needed to mop me off the floor.

Sometimes the weight of God's grace is nearly enough to take me out. It's as if I can feel the actual, physical weight bearing down on my shoulders. And then I recall that Jesus felt the actual, physical weight of the sins of the entire sum of men on His shoulders. Then I am ruined. It's too much. He is SO good. We have no words to measure His holiness. His grace. His love. His blood. And still He pursues us.


See what I mean?


This is a good place to be. Stuck in His grace. Bound by His mercy. Moving with His rhythm. Pursuing His thoughts, His mind, His heart. I am thankful and humbled that He even allows us that privilege. What a mighty God I serve.

No comments: